|Search our catalog:|
If you are interested in learning more about available genealogical records, follow the links below to find additional information about a variety of topics.
We are adding new resources to the Genealogy Center every month. Stop by the Genealogy Center to view our New Books section or click the link above to see some of the newest titles.
New to genealogy or want to brush up on your skills? Videos from the Genealogy Center are a great way to learn, no matter where you are. Click here to see past videos in our Building and Researching Your Family Tree, a twelve part series. New videos are released on the 3rd Thursday of every month.
Click the full-screen icon in the bottom right corner to make the video larger.
1. Sort through papers. Do you have a stack of notes and photo copies that has piled up? Take some time to review the things you’ve found and get your research organized. You never know what you will re-discover while cleaning up.
2. Write a biographical sketch of one of your ancestors. Is there someone you have spent a lot of time researching? Put all of that hard-work to good use! Write their life story. Having a written story makes it easier to pass this information down to other family members. If you write a few of them, you’ll have created a family history! Make sure to cite your sources so future researchers know where you found the information.
3. Watch a genealogy webinar. There are so many excellent videos available for free online. Take this opportunity to learn tips and tricks to improve your own research. To view virtual classes created by the Waco Genealogy Center click here.
4. Contact relatives. Call, email, or message your aunts, uncles, cousins, and anyone else who may have family stories. Information and heirlooms get passed down through different lines of the family. Maybe a cousin remembers a story that your grandmother never shared with you, or your brother may have a box of old photos just waiting to be scanned.
5. Research using the library's Genealogy Databases. Log-in using your WMCL Library Card to access databases like Ancestry Library Edition, Fold3, Newspapers.com, HeritageQuest, and Texas Digital Sanborn Maps all for FREE. Click here to see a full list of the library's databases.
Ancestry Library Edition is available remotely to WMCL library card holders working from home until December 31, 2021. Courtesy of ProQuest and its partner Ancestry.
We release a free Genealogy Class video on the 3rd Thursday of every month. Check out past videos here: Building and Researching Your Family Tree, a Twelve Part Series.
In the Genealogy Center you will find:
We've got you covered!
Alisha shows us how to take precious records from your family history and turn them into useful objects that you can enjoy every day! Click here to find other Keepsake Craft videos.
1717 Austin Ave. Waco, TX 76701